Professor Averill has research interests in personality theory, stress and emotion, creativity, aesthetics, and history and systems of psychology.
- Aggression, Conflict, Peace
- Emotion, Mood, Affect
- Health Psychology
- Interpersonal Processes
- Personality, Individual Differences
- Social Cognition
- Averill, J. R. (1982). Anger and aggression: An essay on emotion. New York: Springer-Verlag.
- Averill, J. R., Catlin, G., & Chon, K. K. (1990). Rules of hope. New York: Springer-Verlag.
- Averill, J. R., & Nunley, E. P. (1992). Voyages of the heart. New York: Free Press.
- Averill, J. R. (1999). Individual differences in emotional creativity. Journal of Personality, 67, 331-371.
- Averill, J. R. (1974). An analysis of psychophysiological symbolism and its influence on theories of emotion. Journal for the Theory of Social Behavior, 4, 147-190. [Reprinted in R. Harre & W. G. Parrott (Eds.). (1996). The emotions: Social, cultural, and biological dimensions. London: Sage.]
- Averill, J. R., Stanat, P., & More, T. A. (1998). Aesthetics and the environment. Review of General Psychology, 2, 153-174.
- Averill, J. R. (1992). William James's other theory of emotion. In M. E. Donnelly (Ed.), Reinterpreting the legacy of William James (221-229). Washington, DC: American Psychological Association.
- Averill, J. R. (1990). Inner feelings, works of the flesh, the beast within, diseases of the mind, driving force, and putting on a show: Six metaphors of emotion and their theoretical extensions. In D. E. Leary (Ed.), Metaphors in the history of psychology (pp. 104-132). New York: Cambridge University Press.
- Averill, J. R. (1984). The acquisition of emotions during adulthood. In C. Z. Malatesta & C. Izard (Eds.), Affective processes in adult development (pp. 23-43). Beverly Hills: Sage. [Reprinted in R. Harré (Ed.) (1986). The social construction of emotions. Oxford: Basil Blackwell.]
- Averill, J. R. (1980). A constructivist view of emotion. In R. Plutchik & H. Kellerman (Eds.), Emotion: Theory, research and experience, Vol. 1. Theories of emotion (pp. 305-339). New York: Academic Press. [Reprinted in A. G. Halberstadt & S. L. Ellyson (Eds.) (1990). Social Psychology Readings: A century of research. New York: McGraw-Hill.]
- Averill, J. R., & More, T. A. (2000). Happiness. In M. Lewis & J. M. Haviland (Eds.). Handbook of emotions. 2nd ed. (pp. 663-676). New York: Guilford Publications.
- Averill, J. R., & Nunley, E. P., (1993). Grief as an emotion and as a disease. In M. S. Stroebe, W. Stroebe, & R. O. Hansson (Eds.), The handbook of breavement (pp. 77-90). New York: Cambridge University Press.
- Affect and Cognition
- Human Stress and Emotion
Department of Psychology
University of Massachusetts
Amherst, Massachusetts 01003
- Phone: (413) 545-0819
- Fax: (413) 545-0996